Texas-style barbecue sauce offers you a well-seasoned blend of tomatoes, garlic, celery, onions, and spices. While most of the BBQ sauces, like the sauce for grilled chicken and sauce for grilled salmon, are usually made thicker and sweeter, Texas barbecue sauce is thinner and comparatively less sweet. Traditionally, the sauce is seasoned with meat drippings or bouillon, which gives it a rich beefy flavor. Besides, Texas-style barbecue sauce also includes vegetables, which is not that common in other BBQ sauces.
It may take a bit more time to make Texas barbecue sauce, but it is surely worth the time and effort. As it is a thin sauce, it will not cover up the flavors of the BBQ meat. You can pair it perfectly with sliced brisket or serve on the side with brisket sandwiches to get an even more enjoyable taste. Below is how to make Texas-style barbecue sauce and add a special zing to your next BBQ party.
- Butter – ¼ cup
- Onion – ¼ cup (minced)
- Celery – 3 stalks (chopped)
- Garlic – 2 cloves (minced)
- Apple cider vinegar – ½ cup
- Water – 1 cup
- Ketchup – 1 cup
- Beef bouillon – 1 tsp (1 cube)
- Worcestershire sauce – 3 tbsp
- Spicy mustard – 2 tbsp
- Honey – 2 tbsp
- Paprika – 1 tbsp
- Chili powder – 2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Pepper – to taste
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan and add onion and celery to it. Cook over medium-low heat for around 4 to 5 minutes until the onions and celery become soft.
- Add garlic in the pan, cook for just about 15 to 20 seconds, and add water and bouillon in it. Keep stirring until the bouillon cube is dissolved well.
- Add the remaining ingredients in the saucepan and simmer on low heat for around 15 minutes. Stir occasionally. When done, remove from the stovetop and let the sauce cool for at least 15 minutes.
- After that, blend the sauce in a food processor or blender until it becomes smooth. You can apply the sauce immediately on your BBQ foods or keep it in the fridge in an airtight container.
You can store the sauce for around 7 days in the refrigerator for later use. Just make sure to reheat the sauce a little before using it. You can use your Texas-style barbecue sauce for any kind of BBQ meat, including chicken, beef, or pork, or even serve it on the side with hamburgers and sandwiches.